Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week (SRCAW) October 15-21, 2018
Theme : Diversity in Spiritual Care
2018 Theme Readings, as follows:
(To access these resources please ask the Librarian: email@example.com):
- FAQs in Spiritual Care: Is diversity a barrier to spiritual care? Sweat MT.Journal of Christian Nursing: January-March 2008 – Volume 25 – Issue 1 – p 54
- Diversity and Cultural Competence : Religious and Spiritual Diversity: Reasons to address spirituality and religious heritage as part of cultural diversity
- Cultivating Awareness of Religious and Spiritual Diversity
- Ajouaou M., Bernts T. (2015) The Effects of Religious Diversity on Spiritual Care: Reflections from the Dutch Correction Facilities. In: Becci I., Roy O. (eds) Religious Diversity in European Prisons. Springer, Cham
- Spiritual Care for Critical Care Patients. Alham Abuatiq International Journal of Nursing & Clinical Practices Volume 2 (2015), Article ID 2:IJNCP-128, 4 pages
- How to Embrace Ethnic and Spiritual Diversity at Work During the Holidays
- Hospitable Hospitals in a Diverse Society: From Chaplains to Spiritual Care Providers. By Pesut, Barbara; Reimer-Kirkham, Sheryl; Sawatzky, Richard; Woodland, Gloria; Peverall, Perry. Journal of Religion & Health . Sep2012, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p825-836. 12p.
- Equality and diversity: Spiritual care
- Nursing 150 – Cultural Diversity and Spiritual Care (Test 1) Flashcards
- Unity and Diversity in Spiritual Care: Spiritual Care in Nursing Practice
- Carranza Conference: Diversity and Health: Avoiding Cultural Malpractice and Promoting Quality Care
- A Practical Reference to Religious and Spiritual Diversity for Operational Police
- SPIRITUALITY IN THE PRACTICE OF CARE — This educational CAPPE module is part ii in section II – Practices in Spiritual Care Written by Peter L. VanKatwyk [includes ‘The Diversity Challenge in Spiritual Care’]
- Religion and Health Care in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario, Erin LeBrun and William Hoverd [This report will address several areas of contention within these systems including diversity, religious symbols, spiritual care services and abortion. ]
- Health and the Human Spirit: Shaping the … – Province of Manitoba
- Religious and cultural diversity in spiritual care: Spiritual Care Australia
- Charting a Course toward Compassion: Patient and Health Care Provider Perspectives and Experiences (PFCC Week Scheduled Events)
- Spiritual Care in Disaster Response [includes ‘Disaster spiritual care in diversity.’]
- Attributes of spiritual care in nursing practice. – NCBI
- Unity and Diversity in Spiritual Care
- Interview with Prof. Ingrid Mattson on Spiritual Care-giving in diverse Muslim Communities
- Training and Sustaining: A Model for Volunteer Spiritual Care Visitors in Long-Term Care. LUCINDA LANDAU, KEVIN BRAZIL, SHARON KAASALAINEN and DIANE CRAWSHAW. Journal of Religion, Spirituality & Aging, 25:216–237, 2013
- Diversity & Health Conference – Avoiding Cultural Malpractice and Promoting Quality Care
- Religious Diversity in European Prisons: Challenges and Implications for Rehabilitation Oct 15 2016 by Irene Becci and Olivier Roy. Cham: Springer International Publishing AG, 2015
- Spiritual Care in Practice: Case Studies in Healthcare Chaplaincy, by Christina Puchalski (Foreword), John Swinton (Afterword), Alister W Bull (Contributor)
Jessica Kingsley Publishers. 2015
- Spiritual Diversity in Social Work Practice: The Heart of Helping, 2nd Edition, Kindle Edition, by Edward R. Canda (Author), Leola Dyrud Furman (Author) Oxford University Press; 2009.
- Hospital Chaplaincy in the Twenty-first Century: The Crisis of Spiritual Care on the NHS, by Christopher Swift. Routledge; 2 edition, 2016
- Spiritual Care and Therapy: Integrative Perspectives, by Peter L. VanKatwyk, Wilfrid Laurier University Press 2003
- The art of spiritual guidance. a contemporary approach to growing in the spirit Gratton, Carolyn. Downey, Michael, Foreward.. New York Crossroad, 1992. 2000
- How to be a perfect stranger : a guide to etiquette in other people’s religious ceremonies Woodstock, Vt. Jewish Lights
- Pastoral counseling across cultures. Augsburger, David W. Philadelphia Westminster Press c1986
- Religious Diversity and Human Rights, Irene Bloom, Columbia university press, 1996
- Teaching Religious Literacy: A Guide to Religious and Spiritual Diversity in Higher Education Routledge; 2017
- Finding God: An Exploration of Spiritual Diversity in America’s Heartland by John H. Clark III Archangel Ink 2015
- The Interfaith Alternative: Embracing Spiritual Diversity by Steven Greenebaum New Society Publishers 2012
Oct 16-22, 2017
Theme: Forgiveness in an Unforgiving World
SRCAW 2017 Poster, Handbook
Proclamations received: Province : Nova Scotia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan; Municipality: Stratford, Pickering, Toronto, Burlington,
What others say:
“I’m very pleased to see this year’s theme is forgiveness. I think it is one of the great paradoxes of spirituality: it is simple and complex, easy and difficult, all at the same time. Yet, it seems to be one of the great themes of all religions and one of the most relevant issues that we can bring to the world, where it seems to be largely ignored. The selection of resources on this topic look amazing. My interest is piqued.”
Mark Wall, BA, MEd, Academic Chair – Student Retention, Learner Services, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology Calgary AB.
- York Regional Police — We wanted to take a moment to thank our chaplains during Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week for all they do to make a difference in our communities.
Thank you Reverend Canon Gregory J. Symmes, Reverend Dr. Francis Mpindu, Rabbi Mendel Kaplan, Reverend Vicki Cousins, Pastor Mansfield Edwards, Imam Abdul Hai Patel, Father Damian Young-Sam-You and Chaplain Herbie Kuhn.
- StJosephsLondon (@stjosephslondon) | Celebrating Care Week Ciarán McKenna, Coordinator, Spiritual Care shares a poem
- Spiritual and Religious Care Awareness Week (SRCAW) to be recognized at NHH: NEWS RELEASE, and the news report.
- St. Camillus Center for Spiritual Care Spiritual care week internationally. We celebrate this week at Lac Usc with information and daily self care offerings for staff after weeks of Tea w Chaplains at all RN stations. Blessings for all serving as professional Interfaith Chaplains
- Saint Elizabeth @StElizabethSEHC Oct 26 More Wishing our chaplains & spiritual care professionals a happy Spiritual Care Week (Oct. 22-28). Thank you for all that you do!
- Hôtel-Dieu Grace @HDGHWindsor Oct 25 More A breath of fresh air – HDGH Celebrates Respiratory Care Week and our wonderful Respiratory Therapists #RCWeek17
- Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare: Did you know that MAHC has a funded Spiritual Care Practitioner as well as volunteer Chaplains who respond to the needs of the human spirit when faced with trauma, ill health, loss, or sadness? Meet our funded Spiritual Care Practitioner, Karen Hamra and learn more about this service. During Spiritual Care Awareness Week, we proudly recognize and thank them for their role in providing safe, high-quality health care!
- PASTORAL CARE WEEK, 2017 The theme for Spiritual Care Week this year is “Hospitality: Cultivating Inclusion”.
- #cityoftoronto – Twitter #CityofTO proclaims Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week on October 16–27. Read our full proclamation at http://ow.ly/WQhS30fRuch pic.twitter.com
- Mount Lawn Funeral Home & Cemetery – Kathleen entered our draw during the Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week through Lakeridge Health. Congratulations! — Sean Howard presents winner “Kathleen Foottit” ofOshawa, Ontario, with Oshawa Generals tickets and $100 Gift Card for The Keg. Kathleen entered our draw during the Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week through Lakeridge Health. Congratulations! Enjoy dinner and the game!
- Vancouver Coastal Health. During Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week, October 16 to 22, VCH Spiritual Care & Multifaith Services staff and students will be attending a display table at VGH. Visit them on the first floor main concourse of the Jim Pattison Pavilion to learn more about their services. …
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Month Issued by NHPCO, Alexandria, Va, news release, press release
- VITAS Healthcare Corporation, Miami, FL 33131. PRESS RELEASES: Spiritual Care Week 2017 – details
- Restorative Justice Week will be held in Canada, and throughout the world, fromNovember 19-26, 2017. The theme for the week is Inspiring Innovation.
Handbook includes 2017 Theme Readings , as follows:
(To access these resources please ask the Librarian: firstname.lastname@example.org):
• No Enemy to Conquer: Forgiveness in an Unforgiving World, by Michael Henderson (Author), Dalai Lama (Foreword), Baylor Univ Pr., 2009 — See extracts @ The Abrahamic Family Reunion.
• No Future Without Forgiveness. by Desmond Tutu, Image. 2000
• The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing Ourselves and Our World. by Desmond Tutu. HarperOne 2015
• The Forgiveness Project: Stories for a Vengeful Age, by Marina Cantacuzino, Jessica Kingsley Publishers; Reprint edition ( 2016)
• On Forgiveness: How Can We Forgive the Unforgiveable? by Richard Holloway. Canongate UK; 2002
• How to Forgive in an Unforgiving World – by John C. Fenn.CreateSpace 2016
• The Forgiveness Solution: The Whole-Body Rx for Finding True Happiness, Abundant Love, and Inner Peace. by Philip H. Friedman , Conari Press 2010
• Triumph of the Heart: Forgiveness in an Unforgiving World. by Megan Feldman Bettencourt, Avery. 2015
• Forgiveness in an Unforgiving World. Khaled Abou El Fadl
• Forgiveness in an Unforgiving World (VIDEO) – Shambhala Mountain
• THE GIFT OF FORGIVENESS By : Pr. PM Raju, Sharjah City Assembly of God.
• The Unstoppable Power of Letting Go | Jill Sherer Murray [viedo]
• Forgiveness is a Choice: A Step-by-Step Process for Resolving Anger and Restoring Hope. by Robert D Enright, American Psychological Association (APA); 2001
• Aggressiveness can be psychobiologically milded: 2. How to achieve Peace, J. Martin Ramirez.
• Part 1: The Mission of Forgiveness – National Presbyterian Church, Missio Dei: Messages from the Gospels and Acts on God’s Work in the World. 2005
• Forgiveness is Power: A User’s Guide to Why and How to Forgive. by William Fergus Martin. Findhorn Press 2013
• First We Stopped Throwing Stones: Post-Genocide Rwanda and a Political Theory of Forgiveness by Lucy Britt, [thesis] 2014
• Can Compassion Transcend Forgiveness? Is compassion, finally, more crucial than forgiveness? By Leon F Seltzer Ph.D. 2009
• How Can I Forgive You?: The Courage to Forgive, the Freedom Not To by Janis A. Spring. William Morrow 2005
• Building compassion through forgiveness well being By Kabbalah Centre
Oct 17-23, 2016
Theme: RIGHT TO BELIEVE : The Meaning and Practice of Spiritual and Religious Care
SRCAW 2016 Poster and Handbook
SRCAW Proclamation 2016, from :
- Manitoba’s Honourable Kelvin Goertzen Minister of Health, Seniors and Active Living
- Vancouver General Hospital
- BC Ministry of Health
- Ontario’s Municipalities: Toronto, Oakville, Pickering, Burlington …
October 19-25, 2015
Theme: Mental Health: Cultural and Religious Dynamics
SRCAW 2015 OMC_SRCAW_2015_HANDBOOK
Click here for the SRCAW 2015 SCRAW Poster_Oct2015
Spiritual and Religious Care Awareness Week (SRCAW)
Media coverage of the Week October 13-19, 2014:
- SRCAW Proclamations received from the following City Mayors of Ontario: Pickering, Port Hope, Burlington, Brantford, Oshawa, Stratford, Toronto, Barrie, New Market, St. Catharine
Focusing on those who help our spirit grow Seaway News-Oct 15, 2014 On Tuesday, Mayor Bob Kilger, signed a proclamation, deeming the week of October 13 to 19, to be Spiritual and Religious Care Awareness Week in Cornwall. Pictured (L-R) are Mayor Bob Kilger, Martina Anderegg, Spiritual Care Counsellor of St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre; and Tammie Ménard, Community Engagement Officer, St. Joseph’s Continuing Care Centre
- SRCAW at Peterborough Regional Health Centre, Oct 15, Noon — Elizabeth Lee Rahman —
The Spiritual & Religious Care Partnership Council at
Peterborough Regional Health Centre held two ‘lunch and learn’ sessions to celebrate SRCAW, with the theme “Deepening Understanding of Religious Diversity”, attended by staff, volunteers and nursing students.
Representatives of various faiths, including Bah’ai, Sikh, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, Unitarian and Mennonite, gave a presentation on what each one, as a person of faith, would like their caregivers to know if they were in the hospital.
The presentations were well received and the insightful and respectful questions, especially from the nursing students, showed they considered spiritual and religious care as part of the holistic treatment.
Also on 15th October a multifaith service was held in the Multifaith Centre at PRHC; prayers and readings were offered by representatives from the Muslim, Sikh, Unitarian and Christian faiths.
- SPIRITUAL CARE WEEK – PANEL DISCUSSION: In recognition of ‘Spiritual Care Week’ Spiritual Care Services of The Ottawa Hospital invites you to attend a Grand Rounds Panel Discussion. Must We Do Everything? Tues., Oct. 14, 12:00 noon, Kaminiski Room, Parkdale Clinic, Civic Campus (Teleconferenced to ICU Conference Room 2235, General Campus). Panellists: Dr. Michael Hartwick, Dr. Thomas Foreman, Rabbi Dr. Reuven Bulka, Msgr. Kevin Beach: Vicar General, Archdiocese of Ottawa, and Abdul Rashid. Info: (613-761-4587). catholicottawa.ca
- Service of dedication new Worship Space Kipling Acres with Partners of Holistic Care Thursday, October 16, 2014, at 1:30 PM, intheWorship Space (Chapel) / Gathering Place, 2nd floor. — Rev. Christian C. Sandru,
- CHRISTIAN-MUSLIM FORUM OF CANADA, Saturday, October 18, 2014
Topic: “Forgiveness: why Is It So Important and By whom Are We Forgiven?” Rev. HARRY ZEKVELD ‘ Dr. ABDUL HAI PATEL, Time: 4:00PM Place: New Horizons Church, 1510 Birchmount Road, Unit #103, Scarborough, ON MIP 2G6 — Media Coordinator: Nadeem Ansari
- Spiritual Emphasis Week, Ignite: Living for Christ Houston Baptist Collegian
- Think spiritually Queen’s Journal-Oct 17, 2014
- How Meditation Changed My Life Huffington Post Canada-Oct 16, 2014
- Fall Memorial Service Happens October 16, Providence Healthcare. See also: At the Corner of Mission and Values with SISTER MARY ANNE MCCARTHY, Director of Mission and Values
- Constant Prayer, Continuous Thanksgiving by WEST VANCOUVER UNITED CHURCH
- Short and Sweet #164 – Change Your Outlook On Life : The not so Original Thoughts of Tim | Spirituality for Today
☺ Stay tuned: We’ll update this news coverage as more information becomes available. ☺
Additional suggested readings (These will need a permission for any further use) :
SRCAW honours professional spiritual and religious care providers and celebrates the collaboration of staff, families and countless volunteers across the province of Ontario.
Spiritual and religious care is about listening, clarifying, counselling, and offering spiritual direction to those in need. When one is scared, lonely, confused, angry or disillusioned, spiritual and religious care providers will offer counsel and support, and when asked, will contact representatives from ones own faith group to assist in your care and comfort. Providers of spiritual and religious care serve those of any faith, and those of no faith at all.
Across Canada, thousands of dedicated and gifted spiritual and religious care givers of all faiths work in highly specialized settings such as hospitals, long term care facilities, correctional facilities, mental health centres and facilities for people with developmental disabilities.
Spiritual and Religious Care Awareness Week offers an opportunity to recognize the value of religious services and spiritual care and to honour those who provide the care.
Each year the Ontario Multifaith Council provides Spiritual and Religious Care Awareness Week packages to individuals and facilities across the province. Packages include posters, a Multifaith liturgy and other resources to help participants create awareness of the profession and to help celebrate this very special work.
Email us stories about spiritual and religious care in your facility/institution
“Deepening Understanding of Religious Diversity” (2014)
Important dates to remember: October 13-19, 2014.
Poster – English (PDF) Participant’s Package (PDF)
Check out Resources from Spiritual & Religious Care Awareness Week 2013
Past Year’s Poster Themes
Seaway News–Oct 15, 2014